11th Alpineroads.com- meet "10 years"

Events and "things to do" you think might be of interest. Biker rallies, races, or more general interest. Not exclusively biker-related.
Rasher
expert

Re: 11th Alpineroads.com- meet "10 years"

Postby Rasher » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:19 pm

Back home now.

After leaving Livigno we had a good ride through the Tyrol, not a place I would go for a Holiday, but really nice routes for getting from A-B and prices for food, fuel and accommodation seem good.

From Austria back into the Black Forest was a nightmare, the weather was OK, but so many road works and the Germans seem to not do contraflow preferring to close a stretch of road (even motorways) entirely and assume you can figure out your own diversion. On the plus side it was dry, rain on Wednesday was fine by us as we had planned a day off the bike in Baden Baden. Pension Williams did us proud again by running us to and from station, taking us to the steak house up the road and going and collecting Pizza's for everyone on Wednesday evening as the local restaurant was closed for the night.

From the Black Forest we took a new route with a mix of Motorway and some non motorway roads (through Luxembourg) which gave us a couple of hours break from the monotony in the mid part of the day. The B&B in Ypres was probably the best I have ever used, the owners live in an adjacent house so guests have run of the (beautiful) house as well as a nice big room and they also had a load of cycles for guests to borrow - handy for us to nip the 2km into town for the Menin Gate ceremony.

Got to the tunnel early and offered a crossing an hour earlier than booked - only to miss the crossing due to idiots arriving at check in in front of us with a load of head clobber on and expecting border control to ID them through their disguises, almost as bad as the idiots that rock up with their passports packed in their suitcases, I think they should just turn these types of idiot around and tell them to sort themselves out and then re-join the back of the queue rather than ruin other peoples day.

Still managed to get on a train half hour earlier than scheduled, but then after 3,000 miles of little traffic we had UK Motorways, stranded car, accident, congestion, animals on road (i.e. normal Friday on the M25) so we where averaging Alpine Pass speeds on the UK's fastest roads for a lot of the journey.

The bike will now sit idle until my next trip as this (excellent) expedition has reminded me of just how shite our roads are.

Roll on AR 2018, I look forward to seeing you all again then, thanks to all that drank, spoke and rode with us.

Pie man
speaker

Postby Pie man » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:38 pm

Glad you made it home ok John. Apart from a short shower before Dijon and again near Calais, for us this was the driest AR for a couple of years. As for that bloody wallet, we decided to extract it after we got home, where it again tried to evade capture. As we where turning the jacket trying to find where it got in, it migrated round the back and tried to hide behind the elbow armour in the r/h sleeve.
Last edited by Pie man on Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sooooooo many pies, soooooo little time.
If your following me, your lost as well.

Yamaha XJR 1300 (1999)
Yamaha Super Tenere (2011)

Michael J
expert

Postby Michael J » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:23 am

Rasher: "The bike will now sit idle until my next trip as this (excellent) expedition has reminded me of just how shite our roads are."

Ours aren't bad - we have some absolutely lovely ones. But after riding the Alps, I just don't feel like riding locally for a month or so.

Finally made the museum at Sinishausen - pretty much a motorhead's dream. Cars, bikes, aircraft, steam, vintage/antique, military, ad infinitum. Back at the hotel charging camera batteries at the moment, and will return in a bit for more - assuming that my ticket is good for the day and not just one entry.
Michael Jordan
'86 SRX-6 (sleeping in the garage)
'03 DL-1000 (on the road in Europe)
'13 Tiger Explorer (accumulating miles)

José Luiz
speaker

Postby José Luiz » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:43 am

Hello friends, I'm already at home in Brazil. I had little contact with you. I guess I just talked to Ludwig, Cris (Kr1s or Chrisn?) And some Finns.
I was hoping to meet the group for lunch at Stelvio on Friday. I went there but I did not find anyone.
Even so, I enjoyed getting to know a bit of an AR.
It was also good to know some passes that I could not ride on my motorcycle trip. I drove (by car :( ) through Umbrail, Gavia and Maloja.
Karza, sorry I did not spend more time with you guys. My wife does not speak English and I found it better to spend more time with her for being our silver wedding trip.
A big hug to all and until the next RA

Rasher
expert

Postby Rasher » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:25 am

Very sorry we missed you, hope you can come along another time - with a bike.

kernowing
speaker

Postby kernowing » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:37 am

Back home in Cornwall (Kernow) after an enjoyable trip. It was good to meet you all, thank you for your company. We were extremely lucky with the weather throughout the whole trip--only needing our wet-gear for an hour or two over the 2500mls. We've seen some brilliant scenery and driven some enjoyable roads. Bike's washed off and can stay in the garage for a day or two! (Unless the sun starts shining again [-o< )
Cheers, Jen & Pete.
After 60, if you don't wake up aching in every joint . . .

You're probably dead.

Mark
expert

Postby Mark » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:04 am

Sorry to have missed my first AR ever. But I know y'all had a good time as there were no posts at all to this thread during the meet :lol: (except for Tony's and he wasn't there either...). Still missing the group pic!

September would be good for me this year #-o

BourneToRide
expert

Postby BourneToRide » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:52 am

I have the group photo at top of Stelvio at 1pm, unfortunately its just me stood beside the sign, pic by webcam
[img]http://website.lineone.net/~stephen_binks/ninjas/bourne.gif[/img]

Michael J
expert

Postby Michael J » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:59 pm

Home again, home again. Still slightly jet lagged. Hit my bed at 03:00 body time and slept for 6 hours.

Now to attend to all of the things that have accumulated over the past 3 weeks. Sigh...
Michael Jordan

Rasher
expert

Postby Rasher » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:29 am

I hope that does not include trimming any trees!

Michael J
expert

Postby Michael J » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:47 am

Funny you should mention that...
Michael Jordan

Karza
expert

Postby Karza » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:23 am

Was good to see you all again, I had really fun. :D

We had good run also after Livigno, first to Ulrichen(weather was a bit chilly...), then through the valley to Martigny and up and over the col to Chamonix, then via Cormet Roselend and Col D´Iseran to Lanslebourg where we had the overnight stop. 8)

Then in the morning as a wake up call a quick run over the Col Du Mont Cenis and Col du Montgenevre to Briancon, and after a short break really enjoyable run up to Col D´Izoard. Our way then took us via Col de Vars (BRILLIANT AGAIN!!) to Barcelonnette, and over the Col de la Cayolle we headed finally to Castellane where we had reservation for one night before our last stint to Rencurel where we spent 3 days. =D> =D>

I took a couple of guys with me then to Andorra and all the way down to Malaga and Fuengirola. Others started their route back to north and F-land...and a few guys were going to Lithuan where our club has the annual concentration for members only. We arrived home yesterday afternoon. All together a bit less than 7000 kms fun, so it was. :D :D :D

kernowing
speaker

Postby kernowing » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:07 pm

Rasher said---"The B&B in Ypres was probably the best I have ever used, the owners live in an adjacent house so guests have run of the (beautiful) house as well as a nice big room and they also had a load of cycles for guests to borrow - handy for us to nip the 2km into town for the Menin Gate ceremony."

Rasher, do you have a link for that B&B in Ypres? We stay in Ypres occasionally and it's good to stay where others have been well looked after =D>
After 60, if you don't wake up aching in every joint . . .

You're probably dead.

Rasher
expert

Postby Rasher » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:13 pm

http://www.villavanilla.be/

Not the cheapest, but really was fantastic.

Michael J
expert

Postby Michael J » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:58 pm

Rasher said: "Not the cheapest, but really was fantastic."

Funny how that works out.
Michael Jordan

Return to “Events”