Should I change the chain / sprockets before trip?

Let us know what bike you ride, what do you like or hate about it .... that sort of thing.
rob_cb1300

Should I change the chain / sprockets before trip?

Postby rob_cb1300 » Sun May 24, 2009 6:43 am

Trying to cover all the bases.
The bike is an 06 CB1300 with 12k on original chain. No obvious wear on sprockets and bags of ajustment left on chain.
But getting paranoid about chain breaking on a motorway or under hard mountain climbs.

Getting conflicting advice, most say 12k is fine for a CB1300 chain as long as the bike has been ridden sensibly (which is the case)
others say change it just in case.

Problem is the trip will be expensive enough with out doing unnecessary work.
I'll fit a new set of tyres and brake pads + an oil service and hope for the best.

What do you experienced guys think?

Cheers
Rob

Karza
expert

Postby Karza » Sun May 24, 2009 8:10 am

Before my new Hayabusa, I had Honda Blackbird. And I did with original chain over 30000 kms, then I changed it before getting any problems. Just give lubrication after every 500 kms and it will work without problems through this trip.. :wink:

iomrob
expert

Postby iomrob » Sun May 24, 2009 8:37 am

depends on how good a chain you have, how often do you need to adjust it whilst riding around at home.
my last 2 xjr's i used gold chains,and that thick white lube, cant rmember its name but its one of the dearest. the first one was standard on the bike, did 13000 miles, chain only needed adjusting 5 times.
got one fitted to the second one as it was not standard, remember it needed adjusting more, but not as often as a normal chain.
so if your unsure, get a gold chain, and heavy lube.
What if the Hokey Cokey is REALLY what it's all about?

CarlXX
speaker

Postby CarlXX » Tue May 26, 2009 3:27 am

My blackbird has now run 14500 km, and the chain still looks as new. 12000 km should be no problem. Just remember to lubricate.

And have a nice trip! :D

Rebecca Hills

Re: Should I change the chain / sprockets before trip?

Postby Rebecca Hills » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:21 am

I do not think that could be a problem, but if you want to be really sure, 100% you may do it, and it will be for future, you will still loose no money :D
Professional writer from [url=http://writemyessayservice.net/]writemyessayservice.net[/url]

Rasher
expert

Re: Should I change the chain / sprockets before trip?

Postby Rasher » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:56 am

I have never broken a chain on a big bike, that is well over 100k without problems.

In my experience the OE chains tend to be good quality, when they get tired they start needing adjustment every few hundred miles and / or the sprockets start to hook and the chain can be pulled away from the sprockets easily.

Unless you have failed to do the most rudimentary chain maintenance it should be OK, I checked the Mrs TDM900 chain before we went on tour this year as it had over 20,000 miles on it and I had the same concerns as you

I decided it was good as I had not needed to adjust it for ages, the chain was still hard to pull off the sprocket much and neither sprocket had much visible hooking going on.

It did over 2,000 miles with no problem - will probably change it on next service at 24k before next years Alps trip as a precaution - not going to complain at that mileage.

Return to “What do you ride?”