New toy

Let us know what bike you ride, what do you like or hate about it .... that sort of thing.
Michael J
expert

New toy

Postby Michael J » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:33 pm

Wanted something lighter for unpaved roads. This is actually taller than my Tiger Explorer!

https://photos.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/ ... 3535-L.jpg
Michael Jordan
'86 SRX-6 (sleeping in the garage)
'03 DL-1000 (on the road in Europe)
'13 Tiger Explorer (accumulating miles)

KR1S
expert

Re: New toy

Postby KR1S » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:37 pm

Nice! Look forward to hearing first impressions

Michael J
expert

Postby Michael J » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:34 am

VERY first impressions.

Remarkably peppy even with me on board. It was still pulling fairly strongly at 100 (KPH) when I had to shut down due to traffic.

Somewhat (cough) less low end torque than my Tiger Explorer. Relearning how to downshift.

Tall. Taller than the TEx and the seat contour up front digs into my thighs at a stop when I try to reach the ground. Seat's quite comfy while riding though.

Needs a center (or centre) stand. Manual shows one - will find out if it's actually available. No aftermarket bits (yet) - I expect that Touratech and Sw Motech will step up to that plate.

Wimpy alternator - manual advises not to run the heated grips (if fitted) at low RPMs lest one drains the battery. Again, somewhat less than the TEx.

It's going to be interesting going back and forth from the TEx to the baby GS. The TEx feels like a 2 wheeled tank and the GS feels like a push bike.
Michael Jordan
'86 SRX-6 (sleeping in the garage)
'03 DL-1000 (on the road in Europe)
'13 Tiger Explorer (accumulating miles)

Rasher
expert

Postby Rasher » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:55 am

Looks like great fun, I would buy a small bike for unpaved roads if we had any, although with current UK government road spending they will all be unpaved by the time I hit retirement.

Return to “What do you ride?”