New Versys 1000

Let us know what bike you ride, what do you like or hate about it .... that sort of thing.
ssi
speaker

New Versys 1000

Postby ssi » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:41 am

This looks like a good value bike for long distance riding.

Its got a good payload, range and price. Plus it gets 17 inch tyres and GS riding position.

There has to be a downside though.

:?

Michael J
expert

Re: New Versys 1000

Postby Michael J » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:11 am

Chain drive?

Keeping in mind that "distance riding" in North America is not quite the same as in Europe or the UK.

But a liter Versys could be - interesting - .
Michael Jordan
'86 SRX-6 (sleeping in the garage)
'03 DL-1000 (on the road in Europe)
'13 Tiger Explorer (accumulating miles)

pingvin
expert

Postby pingvin » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:34 am

Better looking than the Honda but front not the prettiest. Prettier than old Multistrada but uglier than new multristrada :) Probably a good bike, the 650 got good reviews.

[img]http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/PhotoGallerys/xlarge/2012-Kawasaki_Versys_1000_.gif[/img]
2010 KTM 990 SMR
2009 KTM 690 Enduro
2017 KTM 450 EXC-F
1981 Husqvarna 420 AE
1965 Husqvarna 250

tonyj
speaker

Postby tonyj » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:06 am

From another website I frequent
Pretty much sums it up for me though, cant really see where it fits in and for who. Always liked the look of the 600 though

As it's a road-orientated chain-drive machine it fits best as an Adventure-Sports bike. So it's main opposition (albeit at totally different capacities), as I see it anywayz, are: Ducati Multistrada, KTM 990 SMT and Tiger 800 roadie.

The MTS is playing in the premiership, so it's probably seeing itself as the leader vs Triumph and KTM only. It certainly has a 2 litre tank capacity advantage over both, although I doubt it'll match the Tiger's frugality.

It certainly can't match those boys on the dripping wet scales being 24 kg more than the KTM and 29kg more than the Tiger. It's PTW ratio (hp and torque) are slightly better than the Triumph and slightly worse than the KTM, so price point may be critical.

The KTM is light, has WP suspension and Brembo brakes and is an all day comfy ride, with a lightweight sporting edge. So it's got to be priced right versus that. The Triumph will take sales from the cost conscious short of leg. And the KTM is ready to race to coin a phrase.

So perhaps it's target audience is actually those who think two cylinder evil, four cylinders good. And perhaps want a large Adventure 'styled' bike but don't do lardy shafts and place function over form?

Good luck Kawasaki, but I doubt it will sell as well as the smaller brother unless both the price and available deals are really attractive to would be Obi Ewan's.

pingvin
expert

Postby pingvin » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:25 am

Talking about KTM990SMT. It lost to GS1200 by only 1 point in Motorrads Alpen master test recently. GS best on equipment and comfort, SMT most fun to ride. What's most important is up to you :)

(not going to mention that BMW often win tests in Motorrad...just like Triumph often win in british mags :wink: )
2010 KTM 990 SMR
2009 KTM 690 Enduro
2017 KTM 450 EXC-F
1981 Husqvarna 420 AE
1965 Husqvarna 250

Michael J
expert

Postby Michael J » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:25 am

And then, there's price. I suspect that it will be significant;y lower than either KTM or Ducati.
Michael Jordan
'86 SRX-6 (sleeping in the garage)
'03 DL-1000 (on the road in Europe)
'13 Tiger Explorer (accumulating miles)

ssi
speaker

Postby ssi » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:23 am

A friend who saw one at the UK Bike show in Birmingham has said it looks plasticky and cheap.
It has cheap suspension on the front with only one fork leg having rebound adjustment.

So a nice try but a bit too bargain bike maybe, unless you are on a budget of course.

:(

tonyj
speaker

Postby tonyj » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:49 am

[quote="pingvin"]Talking about KTM990SMT. It lost to GS1200 by only 1 point in Motorrads Alpen master test recently. GS best on equipment and comfort, SMT most fun to ride. What's most important is up to you :)

(Looking at a nice looking Smt at the moment , had a guy look at my RSV Mille over the weekend, just waiting for him to Phone and say he will have it and that will be the clincher[-o<

Is it most unusual for the Versys 650 to be a twin and its new big brother a four, cant think of any other examples of this idea?

Rasher
expert

Postby Rasher » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:39 am

[quote="ssi"]A friend who saw one at the UK Bike show in Birmingham has said it looks plasticky and cheap.
It has cheap suspension on the front with only one fork leg having rebound adjustment.

So a nice try but a bit too bargain bike maybe, unless you are on a budget of course.

:(

I expect that is exactly where it sits, a great value bike, but a few quid on a fork rework and decent shock would probably turn it into a cracker of a bike for not a lot of wonga.

It is not off-roady enough to be a KTM / GS / Tenere competitor, and the MTS is in a league of its own for road biased work (both in performance and price)

The new 1200's from Honda and Triumph are going to be going for the GS market, but I expect both will be more road focussed and of much higher quality than the Kwacker (Plus both of them are shaft) which I think will predominantly be left competing with the Varedero - simple Twin Vs Four jobbie, pay yer money and take your choice.