Another Toy

Let us know what bike you ride, what do you like or hate about it .... that sort of thing.
Pie man
speaker

Another Toy

Postby Pie man » Tue May 28, 2013 4:56 am

Couldn't resist it, 2011 Super Tenere. The dealers ex demo plus one owner, only 2000 miles. £1500 of extras including full luggage (not shown)
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/fokm68.jpg[/img]
Sooooooo many pies, soooooo little time.
If your following me, your lost as well.

Yamaha XJR 1300 (1999)
Yamaha Super Tenere (2011)

Rasher
expert

Re: Another Toy

Postby Rasher » Tue May 28, 2013 9:06 am

Sweet, same as my one :mrgreen:

Drop it off to Race Engineering in Essex for an ECU remap, the engine is awesome once the pesky restrictions are lifted. You can short the Clutch switch out (I fitted a switch to do this) and it lifts the throttle butterfly restrictions and gives a good bit more low down in 1st - 3rd, but the ECU Flash turns it into a completely different animal.

The drop it to MCT for a fork rework - rides the road like Silk with linear springs and different oil. I also fitted a Wilburs shock to help it out a bit two-up.

Just thrown some crash bars on mine, bash plate should be here this week and I have some adjustable dog bones to throw on - reminds me, jack up the pre-load and extra line or two and the turn-in is far sweeter, also got a WC sticker kit to plaster it with - should be looking mighty fine for AR 2013.

This is it just after I bought it, went for SW-Motech luggage as Yamaha stuff was a bit small for the two of us.

[url=http://s984.photobucket.com/user/rasherzzr/media/Tenere/0SW.jpg.html][img]http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae326/rasherzzr/Tenere/0SW.jpg[/img][/url]

Pie man
speaker

Postby Pie man » Tue May 28, 2013 11:57 am

Mine came with the Yam luggage, the side boxes should be OK, but the little top box is useless for two. So I am getting a Shad top plate mount for my SHAD50L top box. That, the side boxes and a tank bag is usually enough for the two of us.
It has the bash plate and crash bars, along with spots and heated grips, an MRA screen is on it's way, and a larger side stand foot. I find it easier to push the side stand down at the foot end , as it's all too easy to put it in first gear using the "proper way"
We took it out for the first time today, a 40 mile jaunt round the Surrey Hills (It took us back to when we first met, as I had the 1200's grandaddy back then, the XT600) The Super T. performed very well with just a bit of suspension tweaking. I kept it in T mode for most of the trip, only switching to S when closer to home. I should have tried it earlier, it does transform things and should make the Alps twisties a bit easier. Bimbling along with the traffic was also quite nice, as we do like to look at the scenery 8) We still need to take it out fully loaded to see how it works for pillion, if it's too uncomfortable it will be the FJR again.

Yamaha XJR 1300 (1999)

Michael J
expert

Postby Michael J » Tue May 28, 2013 1:52 pm

Nice bike - just a wee bit too tall for my short legs. The Tiger Explorer, however, is lower than my VStrom 1000. Go figure. I'm presently thinking on whether or not I want to drop $20K* on a new bike. Especially since I still like my 'Strom.

* - fully farkled price - not bare bike price.
Michael Jordan
'86 SRX-6 (sleeping in the garage)
'03 DL-1000 (on the road in Europe)
'13 Tiger Explorer (accumulating miles)

Pie man
speaker

Postby Pie man » Tue May 28, 2013 2:48 pm

I paid £9000/$13600 with the extras, new it's £12000/$18000 without the goodies. I am still having to spend another £250 on the screen, inner bags and top case carrier.

Yamaha XJR 1300 (1999)

Rasher
expert

Postby Rasher » Tue May 28, 2013 8:29 pm

For two-up with luggage the OE shock is a bit weak, even on max pre-load mine was bouncy and lacked ground clearance, I went with a the higher spec Wilburs Shock (Remote Pre-load, Rebound and Hi / Lo speed compression damping) with a stiffer spring (150nm Vs stock 137nm) and it is just amazing both solo and two-up. I had the front springs swapped out at the same time which gives a lot more comfort as well as better feedback and less sudden dive on the brakes.

The stock restrictions are not so bad on UK roads, but you will feel them a lot in the Alps, here is a graph of 2nd - 6th, you can see how badly restricted 2nd and 3rd are, and just where you will be wanting some torque in the mountains.

[url=http://s984.photobucket.com/user/rasherzzr/media/Tenere/Power2-6_zps03d89f08.jpg.html][img]http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae326/rasherzzr/Tenere/Power2-6_zps03d89f08.jpg[/img][/url]

As well as lifting these restrictions the Flash also really improves the part throttle response so it feels much stronger in normal use without having to tug the throttle right around (in stock trim the closed loop area is up to 50% throttle anywhere below about 5k) loads more on the subject:

http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index. ... .msg134187

Lots of happy punters so far:

http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=7936.0

I also fitted some Arrow Headers which makes a big difference to stock, this is a Flashed bike without Vs with the Arrows:-

[url=http://s984.photobucket.com/user/rasherzzr/media/Tenere/TenereFlashVsStock_zps3e7153a5.jpg.html][img]http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae326/rasherzzr/Tenere/TenereFlashVsStock_zps3e7153a5.jpg[/img][/url]

Outs a real big grin on my face every time I touch the throttle :mrgreen:

PS, Touring Mode is really crap with much les power in 1st - 4th gear, I would only use it if riding on oil covered ice.

Pie man
speaker

Postby Pie man » Tue May 28, 2013 9:45 pm

Intersting. Do you mind saying how much the mapping and springy bits cost? I had an Ohlins fitted in my FJR and that made a great transformation over the OE.

Yamaha XJR 1300 (1999)

Rasher
expert

Postby Rasher » Wed May 29, 2013 11:11 am

The ECU Flash is £349, they did mine while I waited, but you need to order it and book in advance. Race Engineering were very helpful and seem to take real pride in what they do.

The top spec Wilburs and Fork rework was about £1200 for the lot, this was ride-in / ride-out at MCT in Stowmarket, great bunch of people that know their stuff, sorted my last three bikes to perfection. Price includes setup so they do all the work, take it for a test ride, and then send you off and will tweak it until you are happy.

The Rebound only shock is a fair bit cheaper, but I find with two-up use it is extra compression damping that helps the most so always go for a shock with that feature, the Wilburs are also built to order so will be sprung for you and your use - just be aware they take a few weeks from order to delivery, and MCT often book up for 2 months in advance so call now if you want it done - they will let you book a spot without a deposit so you can get booked in and then decide what you want done nearer the time.

tonyj
speaker

Postby tonyj » Fri May 31, 2013 12:16 pm

Great bikes both of you, had followed a few threads by Rasher on the Tenere Forum/owners club
51,000 miles no problems by Nick Sanders should have helped this bike sales as initial launch with Online sales only etc along with the poor reviews( weight, low end punch etc) must have done some early damage to sales

Suprising to hear the amount of people who use MCT in Stowmarket, I am hoping to get in there next week , only good reviews of them

Rasher
expert

Postby Rasher » Fri May 31, 2013 3:53 pm

You won't be disappointed with MCT work, I have known many people with many bikes who have gone to them and all have been happy.

The S10 has sure suffered at the hands of the press, and not helped by high list price in the UK, seems more popular in US / Australia where it is far cheaper than the GS.

I dunno why the press are obsessed with weight, on the move at low speed it feels lighter than my old 2008 1200GS did as it holds the weight so low down, they also slagged it off for lack of performance (lower top speed and slower SS1/4 mile than the GS) but I had two test rides on the 2012 GS and S10 and the performance felt very similar, the Twin Cam GS was a bit better up top, but not so good in the mid-range and lower down....

... Except 1st - 3rd gear, where the Yamaha restrictions can be felt, not so much on the demo rides as you tend to short shift in 1st / 2nd and on UK roads tend to be moving at a fair pace, but once I got mine home and started riding it on back lanes I started to notice it a bit, especially two up. It would be quite harmful to performance on the switchbacks where your often at 3-5k in 2nd / 3rd gear (many press launch reviewers said it felt flat at altitude and I suspect it was not the altitude, but the change from more open roads to tight corners that forced them to use the lower gears and lower revs.

I knew I had to get mine sorted before AR2013, although some folk never really notice the problem, but if I could feel it on UK roads it would have been most annoying on roads like the Stelvio.

Return to “What do you ride?”