Jackets/trousers for touring

Let us know what bike you ride, what do you like or hate about it .... that sort of thing.
KR1S
expert

Jackets/trousers for touring

Postby KR1S » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:33 pm

Hi all

It's time to replace my jacket and trousers and I'd be interested to hear what kit people use and what they recommend.

Up to now I've used a pair of Frank Thomas leather trousers and a Belstaff cordura jacket. When it rains I have to stop and put nylon over-trousers on. This works quite well - I only get a small damp patch at the waistband of the trousers, but I'm quite tempted by cordura (or equivalent) trousers this time to a) save faffing when it rains and b) save having to carry over-trousers.

I'd be interested to hear what kit other people find works...

Cheers

Chris

Karza
expert

Postby Karza » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:52 pm

I use SCOTT Goretex trousers and jacket, and it works very well. :D If its more than 25 celsius, I prefer specially in alpine roads to use jeans and Scott jacket. :shock:

pingvin
expert

Postby pingvin » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:16 pm

For touring I use Dainese leather jacket and pants. Kind of classic type with more pockets than my more race type Spidi 2-piece. Happy with both suits, one is a bit safer (tighter fit, some more padding), the other is more practical.

If it's cold I either have the lining in the jacket or use my Goretex Dainese jacket (without the protection) over the leather jacket. I have the jacket in my tankbag so I can put it on in seconds still sitting on my bike. Without the protection it doesn't take that much space.

If it's even colder (or start raining), I put on my rainsuite, it helps a lot since being windproof and you have an extra layer for insualtion. In fact I probably use the rainsuite more when it's dry than in the wet (partly becuse I try to avoid raining where/when it's raining 8).
2010 KTM 990 SMR
2009 KTM 690 Enduro
2017 KTM 450 EXC-F
1981 Husqvarna 420 AE
1965 Husqvarna 250

Robin
formerly spheniscidine

Postby Robin » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:21 am

I have way too much kit! To the extent that I spend ages trying to decide what to take on tours. Each has positives and negatives.

This year (I think) I will wear a textile suit with removable combined waterproof/thermal lining. (It's a Hein Gericke Tuareg). Having a completely removable lining makes it really cool on hot days (we're going in July), much cooler than either leathers or textile suit with gore-tex or similar in place all the time, especially with the ventilation zips open.

The downside is that if it rains, you have to put the "warm" lining in too, but as it's usually coole when it's raining, that's not a problem. The lining is easily compressed into tankbag or panniers without taking up too much room, though.

With the lining in it is warm and pretty much waterproof, and certainly good enough to keep out showers encountered on the way. But where it looks like we might be riding in extended rain, I put waterproofs on top, too - either two piece or one piece.

The Tuareg suit has changed design since I bought mine, but is still rather ... erm ... interesting to look at. Cedrtainly not everyone's cup of tea.

I also have an Aerostich suit which I use for day to day riding. I may yet take this instead! But it does have some drawbacks in terms of what to wear underneath when it's hot, that you feel comfortable eating your lunch in!
Expert??? Don't know where that came from. Believe me, I'm no expert!

alpinebiker
speaker

Postby alpinebiker » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:57 am

I don't think I've ever had a set of kit I'm happy with in over 30yrs of riding. At the moment I've got two cordura jackets - a Frank Thomas heavyweight winter one and a lighterweight BMW safari jacket thats great when the temp is over 20C but without the lining the wind comes straight through so it's not much use when the temp drops. I've never got on with leather jackets for touring and I can't remember the last time I wore the one in the wardrobe.
I've got two pairs of leather jeans that I choose between depending how much weight I've gained / lost and some Frank Thomas cordura trousers that get used in the winter for warmth but not much in the summer. I've got about half a dozen one piece oversuits that I seem to have acquired over the years and tend to take one of those when touring as they pack into small spaces and provide an extra windproof layer if the temp drops in the evening.

pingvin
expert

Postby pingvin » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:04 am

[quote="Robin"] But where it looks like we might be riding in extended rain, I put waterproofs on top, too - either two piece or one piece.

Me too! Goretex may be waterproof, but the textile on the outside still gets wet and heavy!

Regarding textile vs. leathers, the advantages using leather are that they are better at high speed (Autobahn) because of tighter fit and (according to the experts) have better safety. I guess it's a reason why Rossi's not wearing textiles.

But I use textile this time a year because it's colder outside and I don't need to bring a rain suit in case of a shower.

In any case I would think it's smart going for one of the "bettter" brands. I get mad when I see people buying gloves for 15 euros. One thing is for sure, if you go down your hands will touch down.

Off topic: Long nice ride yesterday, skiing in the mountains today, perfect weather (just back), motorcycle tomorrow and then 3 days in the mountains again. It's good to be me :D
2010 KTM 990 SMR
2009 KTM 690 Enduro
2017 KTM 450 EXC-F
1981 Husqvarna 420 AE
1965 Husqvarna 250