Sat nav's

General chat, anything goes, off topic. That sort of thing.
iomrob
expert

Sat nav's

Postby iomrob » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:07 am

ok , time to0 join the 21st century, much as it pains me , I think a sat nav might be handy this year . Ok, so the question is which is best . not looking for top of the range , just something that an idiot with computors can work , free map updates , and will connect to the power point on the bike . Dont want to spend vast amounts , cause it will only be used 3 , maybe 4 weeks a year. So zumo , tom tom ???
What if the Hokey Cokey is REALLY what it's all about?

Rasher
expert

Re: Sat nav's

Postby Rasher » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:20 am

Much of a Muchness I think.

I have used Garmins and continue to do so as I am more familiar with them, but a mate has always used Tom Tom, we both have things we hate on our own, and love on the other persons.

They will both want to use different roads to what you want to use, and do crazy shortcuts / diversions / long way rounds that make no sense, but they will get you to where you need to be.

The key for me was learning how to use it as a tool to assist my navigation, with good planning and an awareness of where I am going (direction I should be heading / towns I should be passing through etc) and good use of waypoints on the routes (such as thinking about where to place them and what to call them) can make a big difference.

I often use a waypoint name as a reminder of where I night want to stop / fuel up / start looking for a hotel and sometimes put the time I should be reaching it at (so I can check if I have plenty of time to press flowers, or need to press on instead)

Drop me a PM when you get one if you need any more help....

...in the mean time have a look at "My Route App" for route planning, event the free version is pretty good, the pay for one is excellent with a good mix of powerful features and ease of use.

kernowing
speaker

Postby kernowing » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:04 pm

I used a Garmin Zumo 550 for several years until it started giving problems a couple of years back. I "upgraded" to a Zumo LM 660 but this was not as good as the 550, (in my opinion) the 660 is now discontinued but there are newer options available.
If you can get your head around Garmin Basecamp, planning routes and transferring to your Zumo is good. (You Tube can help)
Lots of good advice here if you choose a Garmin :- http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php
Cheers, Pete.
After 60, if you don't wake up aching in every joint . . .

You're probably dead.

The raven
Legend

Postby The raven » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:10 am

Garmin for me :thumbup:
Spiritus numquam senescit
"The spirit never grows old"
"quoth the Raven "

53 years in the alps
1964-2017

Sigmund Freud
speaker
Location: formally on a couch at 20 Maresfield Gardens hampstead, now Golders Green Crematorium

Postby Sigmund Freud » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:03 am

+1 Garmin
VAGcom/VCDS fault diagnostics for VW Audi Seat and Skoda cars available in South Yorkshire at competative prices PM me for details

BourneToRide
expert

Postby BourneToRide » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:09 am

I use an old car Garmin, has 4.5" screen, bluetooth, MP3 player, FM radio transmitter so an Ipod with earbuds connected can give me music (or not) + spoken instructions without any kind of tether, route import via SD is important when group riding as you can distribute a days route before setting out.
backup device is phone with offline google maps
[img]http://website.lineone.net/~stephen_binks/ninjas/bourne.gif[/img]

iomrob
expert

Postby iomrob » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:51 am

thanks lads , going to try Here Maps on one of our old phones , will try it in Germany when we are over for xmas and new year. Also downloaded a translation app . Looks like I am heading towards the 21st century :o

KR1S
expert

Postby KR1S » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:15 pm

I use an old iPhone as a sat nav all the time and get on very well with it.
I use "CoPilot" software, which isn't free but works well for multipoint routes and can have off-line maps for the whole of Europe (actually most of the world if you want it/paid for it).
There are Android and iOS versions but in more recent versions of iOS (8.3 or later) you can't upload routes to it from PC so it's of limited use and Android would be better. (I stick with an old iPhone with old iOS).
These guys do good waterproof cases, mountings and power/charging cables for iPhones and most Samsung Galaxy S phones - they are well made, fully waterproof and you can still use the touch screen (although not with a motorbike glove on).
http://www.ultimateaddons.co.uk/

iomrob
expert

Postby iomrob » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:17 am

HHMMM good point , I know my phones are android , this the wifes old one that I am planning to use is , will have to check that ........................ never here when she is needed :D

Return to “General Chat”