Retirement plans

General chat, anything goes, off topic. That sort of thing.
suzuki12

Retirement plans

Postby suzuki12 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:42 pm

I’m making travel plans for my retirement and would appreciate input. I’m from near Toronto Canada and plan to do a lot of European riding when I’m done work. I hope to buy a bike through a bike rental company in Milan and store it at his business.
My plan would be to do multiple trips each year to ride it and then hope to tour with my wife all over Europe from southern Spain to northern Norway. Plan would be to ride it on 1-2 week trips and store it near airports as we go to make it a multi year trip. Retiring pilot so virtually free travel makes it possible.
I’m unable to find much information on storage near airports around Europe.
Any ideas for me and other advice for my retirement plans?

Thx
Glenn

Karza
expert

Re: Retirement plans

Postby Karza » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:08 pm

Hi Glenn! :D I live in southern Spain in Malaga area, 25 kms from Malaga. I can help you here if needed. I work as a real estate agent here so you can rent a flat from us or I can book a cheap but nice hotel also for you as you prefer. Also I know the mc dealers and rentals here so if you want to leave your bike here, I can manage that for you.

From Malaga to Barcelona is about a 1000 kms. And from there is to Alps about 500 kms. So in 2-3 days (if you are busy! :lol: )you reach the French Alps from here.. :wink:

Here is now as cold as it gets in winter, today the forecast is +14 celsius and sunshine, and in the end of the week +20 celsius, daytime, in the night time about +10 celsius.

We tour with my group /the Finns) in Alps from the 29th June til 17th July, welcome to join us. We have great routeplan for each day and nice hotels. Everyone just pay their own costs, nothing else. :D If you need more info, please send me the email: kari@sunloma.es 8)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andalusia
Last edited by Karza on Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Pie man
speaker

Postby Pie man » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:25 pm

In November 2012 Karza got me sorted with accommodationin in Fuengirola, the area has some nice rides and places to explore. Also don't forget GB, Wales, the north of England and Scotland have good biking roads, best in September after the schools summer holidays. And Scotland is as far north as some of Norway and probably a bit cheaper :D. Not been to Ireland, yet.
Last edited by Pie man on Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sooooooo many pies, soooooo little time.
If your following me, your lost as well.

Yamaha XJR 1300 (1999)
Yamaha Super Tenere (2011)

Michael J
expert

Postby Michael J » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:32 am

Hi Glenn - welcome to the wonderful world of a well-funded retirement :D

I'm about a day's ride south of you in northern Virginia and have a bike stored in Europe since 2009, although I'm presently without one over there.

Who are you dealing with in Milano? Sounds like Mototouring. If so, they're near Linate, although the main international airport is Malpensa, which is a bit of a schlep out of town, but good transport is available.

You're probably better off picking a single storage facility rather than finding something at random airports. I've been working with Stefan Knopf in Heidelberg since '09 and he is an absolute joy to work with. About 100km from FRA, but again easy transport. I usually take the airport shuttle door to door. A bit more expensive than the train, but a lot simpler.

Stefan has everything you need - bike storage, his own shop area for routine maintenance, an on-site B&B and storage rooms for long & short term items. Plus, he can arrange to have your bike serviced locally for larger items.

I rented bikes for 6 years while I was still working, but a simple tip-over in 2008 on a 1200GS (while stopped - foot slipped on gravel) cost me CHF 1,400 in replacement parts (anything with a scratch got replaced) - at which point I realized that I had a perfectly good bike in my garage that was not being ridden and over it went in early 2009.

Glad to discuss specifics either here or directly - my gmail address is mjordan812.

Oh yeah - take your weather back - we've had enough (-12C at the moment).
Michael Jordan
'86 SRX-6 (sleeping in the garage)
'03 DL-1000 (on the road in Europe)
'13 Tiger Explorer (accumulating miles)

suzuki12

Postby suzuki12 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:22 am

Thanks for the input everyone.

I plan to deal with Mototouring in Milan. I'm undecided whether to ship a bike over or buy one through him. He has an option where he would buy it for me and then registration is Italian as opposed to me getting green card insurance on my bike. His site says bike needs to be imported after one year but I don't know how they would enforce that. Milan is my choice as it's right in the mountains and so close to where we want to ride. I would go over about every 5-6 weeks during the season and go riding for a week or so.

When I actually retire one year from now, we want to do a major trip all around the continent including the UK. These would be 1-2 week trips so the journey would likely last several years. We want to see all of Europe on the bike, hence the need for storage near airports.

Thanks for the help in Spain, will definitely look into that.

Michael J
expert

Postby Michael J » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:44 am

One more thought - a US (or Canadian) registered bike appears to be "invisible" to photo radar.

Or so I hear.
Michael Jordan

Rasher
expert

Postby Rasher » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:06 am

I knew Michael and Karza would be the men to help :mrgreen:

Now when you want to whizz around the UK drop me a line, you might want to try the UK before doing too much of the rest of Europe or it may be a major disappointment with less interesting scenery, more boring roads and a lot more traffic (we won't even mention the weather) but there are still some nice places to visit in the UK, personally I would suggest the Cotswolds (cos it is where I live) Yorkshire Moors and Dales, Lake District, Wales and Scotland - could make a decent go of all of that over two weeks.

The Alps is huge, and apart from the good advice of the folks here grab yourself a copy of "Motorcycle Journeys through the Alps and beyond" to wet your appetite. I reckon on a good 6-8 weeks worth of riding in the Alps without too much repetition on the better known passes, a lot more if you start talking to Michael and Ludwig on the lesser known routes and even more if you fancy trying the off road stuff as well.

Plenty more riding in Luxembourg, the Ardennes, Black Forest and Vosges which are all close to the Alps - I gave a bit of knowledge of these, plus the Hartz Mountains are not too far away, plus the Pyrenees, Pico's and the rest of Spain

The raven
Legend

Postby The raven » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:27 am

welcome Glenn.
I live in south yorkshire, maybe I can help in some way when you come to the UK,
put me on your list of contacts for when you get nearer the time and know what you are doing .
Spiritus numquam senescit
"The spirit never grows old"
"quoth the Raven "

53 years in the alps
1964-2017

iomrob
expert

Postby iomrob » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:55 pm

Hi Glen , welcome . I wont repeat what has been said above , as its the best imfo you will get . Rashers post says all you need to know . One thing I would say is , dont bother with some of the Facebook touring groups , as in my opinion most of the so called experts on them do not have a feckin clue , they have done it 3 times and are experts , yeah right. I have been going to the Alps and main land Europe for 20 years , and still seek advice from the guys on here , because of their knowledge and sound advice . unlike facebook where it normally goes to some petty quabble about who has a sat nav and who does not . It may take a little while longer to get an answer on here, but believe me its always a good one .hope all this works out for you , its a hell of a plan { and I am not jealous :D }
P.S , if you go to the UK , get England, Wales , Ireland out the way first for they are the disappointments , then go to Scotland , Gods country .............but watch out for the midgies :D , and wild haggis :D
What if the Hokey Cokey is REALLY what it's all about?

Michael J
expert

Postby Michael J » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:10 am

I just noticed that you plan to buy a bike in Europe. Be advised that registering and insuring it in your name is just about impossible if you don't have a legal residence in Europe - i.e. citizen, resident alien, etc.

It would be much easier (in the long run) to ship a bike over. I've mentioned Stefan, and Air Canada has a deal each year (so far) where you can fly your bike and yourself into Frankfurt and pick it up there. They recommend that you ship the bike a day early so that you're not spending a day lounging around Customs waiting for them to get it together. Personally, I'd fly on the same plane as the bike and spend the "extra" day in Frankfurt.
Michael Jordan

suzuki12

Postby suzuki12 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:21 pm

Thanks again for the info.
I now don’t plan to buy a bike in Europe but want to ship mine over.
Michael, do you recall the paperwork required at the airport?

Michael J
expert

Postby Michael J » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:45 am

Both of the bikes I shipped were with Stefan Knopf - I dropped off the bikes, their titles and a Power of Attorney, IIRC. He handled all of the other details. A remarkably simple process.

Remembering from the chat on ADVRider regarding Air Canada's shipping, I believe that all you will need are a clear title (or a letter from the lienholder permitting you to take the bike out of the country) and a Hazardous Goods form. Again, from what I've heard, the people at air Canada cargo have their act together and can give you the best info.

Air Canada's page:

https://www.aircanada.com/cargo/en/ship ... motorcycle

An oldish ADVRider thread with some more info (cites the page above) that was added to last year:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/a ... m.1226513/

I've heard no bad things and have a couple of friends in Quebec that shipped their VStroms over a couple of years ago. The only "hitch" is that you have to fly with your bike - not necessarily on the exact same flight - but you have to have pax tickets for a flight over in hand. Again - Air Canada is THE source of detailed info.

One note - they say that the only thing that you can have in the panniers is stuff directly relating to the bike - no personal baggage. "Stuff for the bike", however, seems to extend to riding gear - so you can pack pants, jackets, gloves, helmets, etc. I believe that you are given a box to pack associated incidentals - but am not sure on this,
Michael Jordan

suzuki12

Postby suzuki12 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:01 am

Michael
Thanks for the information. Shouldn’t be too hard for me as I work for Air Canada so should be special pricing for me.

suzuki12

Postby suzuki12 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:01 am

Michael
Thanks for the information. Shouldn’t be too hard for me as I work for Air Canada so should be special pricing for me.

Michael J
expert

Postby Michael J » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:39 am

"Shouldn’t be too hard for me as I work for Air Canada so should be special pricing for me."

So...

How many bikes could you ship?

He asks, innocently...
Michael Jordan

Return to “General Chat”