Gear & gadgets forum

GPS stuff, luggage anything like that
fahr_side
speaker

Gear & gadgets forum

Postby fahr_side » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:37 am

Yeah. There is quite a lot of chatter about GPS devices, luggage, radio and intercom systems that make touring so much more comfortable... and no official place to have that chat. So how about it?

(I really want to boast about the cool PDA phone thingy I got for my birthday and there's nowhere to do it even remotely subtly...) 8)

BourneToRide
expert

Postby BourneToRide » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:18 am

I own a Sony Erricsson K800 phone, a Blackberry 8310 with built in GPS (work phone)and a Garmin Nuvi 310.
So which should I use for my trip next month.
K800 needs Tomtom mobile and a bluetooth GPS dongle.
Blackberry GPS routing is crap as are its maps
Garmin has no bluetooth for headset and no camera and doesn't seem to accept routes made in Mapsource, only the waypoints
Help please
[img]http://website.lineone.net/~stephen_binks/ninjas/bourne.gif[/img]

fahr_side
speaker

Postby fahr_side » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:49 am

Standalone device, I think Tomtom Rider wins hands down. A bluetooth GPS is a good solution for the K800 I think. Just depends on you if the screen is big enough. I have Tomtom Navigator 6 on my phone (built-in GPS), and the maps of western europe are only about 1GB. Hopefully at some point this year I'll get a chance to try it out... :roll:

Robin
formerly spheniscidine

Postby Robin » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:48 am

I think you're either a TomTom person or a Garmin person. I'm a Gramin person, and love my Zumo 550.

The pictures on your website from your K800 are very good. That might swing it for me.
Expert??? Don't know where that came from. Believe me, I'm no expert!

fahr_side
speaker

Postby fahr_side » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:20 am

I've owned a bunch of Garmin devices from oldskool GPS12XL through eMap to GPS76S, but never one with routing. I use the Garmins for my other hobby, aviation. Besides the hardware and software issues between the various vendors (let's not forget Magellan) there is the issue of mapping. Garmin's maps to me are always rather outdated, lacking in detail, and in certain parts of the world even completely useless. Tomtom's bid for Teleatlas is sure to strengthen their position in this market and severely weaken that of Garmin. On my PC I have Mapsource and maps of western europe. It's pretty handy for route planning though a bit clunky to use sometimes. A bit like me really. OTOH, I can only work with Tomtom on my WM6.1 device, which is a bit cramped compared to the screen space I have on my notebook. Tomtom 6 is however very fast even on my PDA phone with it's puny little 400mhz processor.

New forum, first post... yay! \:D/

Where's that dancing banana emoticon when you need it?

BourneToRide
expert

Postby BourneToRide » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:18 am

[quote="fahr_side"]New forum, first post... yay! \:D/

Where's that dancing banana emoticon when you need it?

Ask and you shall receive
Thanks Tim :D
So is my route transfer problem a general garmin thing or just because my (wifes) Nuvi was a cheap one.
I have read lots of peoples views, problems with missing 1 of multiple waypoints, losing complete routes because of a "recalculation".
I want to store multiple routes with multiple waypoints, not to have to start from Home and to save tracks, is this too much to ask
[img]http://website.lineone.net/~stephen_binks/ninjas/bourne.gif[/img]