Accommodation Nr Millau

Robin
formerly spheniscidine

Accommodation Nr Millau

Postby Robin » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:07 am

Not the Alps, I know, but we'll be riding back from Spain in early May and I'd like to see the big bridge there. Have looked on Logis de France and there's a couple of possibilities there, but by any chance can anyone recommend a cheap hotel, poreferably biker friendly, in or around Millau?

Thanks,

Robin.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:16 am

Probbaly a bit too far out of your way, but I stayed in Sainte-Enimie, about 50km up river of Millau a few years ago. it's small but picturesque and has a couple of nice little hotels. The road up the gorge is nice too, but watch out for the white-van-men towing canoes.

ChrisN
expert

Postby ChrisN » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:35 am

I rode a similar route last year and used Ibis hotels. Maybe not the most imagionative or cheapest, but good standard and most have secure parking. Lots of locations throughout France so you can prebook and adjust enroute.

If you're coming from Spain head for Carcasonne in southern France. The Ibis in the city has a secure underground carpark and is close to the old medieval town with plenty to see. The ride from Carcasonne to Millau takes you through some beautiful countryside on quiet Tiger roads. From Millau I headed for Clermont Ferrand using the N9 old road rather than the A75 motorway. Again superb riding in the Massif Central area.
Chris
Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer XCx
Yamaha XT660X

Robin
formerly spheniscidine

Postby Robin » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:46 am

Thanks for replies. Will consider these options.

Chris, been to Carcassonne a fe wyears ago, impressive old city, but on this trip we have to get home from wherever we stop in a day to meet time commitments, so Carcassone may be that little bit too far given that we really want to spend some time looking at the bridge in Millau.

Tim, we spent our honeymoon in Ste Chely, just a few miles from Ste Enimie. (Ste Chely is so small I can't find it on Microsoft Autoroute.) Hired one of those canoes for half a day, fell in, scared wife half to death, swan in the coldest clearest water anywhere, lost wedding ring. Great fun, but we were in the car. Hotels in Gorge du Tarn definitely merit further consideration.

Robin.

trickywoos

Postby trickywoos » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:54 am

This might be a bit late for you, but my parents have a B&B in Perpignan, which is just over the hour away from Millau.

[url]http://www.coupdecoeur.co.uk[/url]

They're biker friendly, full bike set up, secure parking, maintenance etc!

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:30 pm

[quote]...Hired one of those canoes for half a day, fell in,..

...funny that, so did I. :D The river is fantastic, especially the bits where it's cut under the cliff a bit and it's really deep and still. So clear.