Alpine Tour by Car

ahmetgulas

Alpine Tour by Car

Postby ahmetgulas » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:45 am

we are planning Europe tour by car beginning of on July or On September 2016 . My 10 days routes are Munich, Salzburg, GrossGlockner, Vajont, Venezia, Milano, Torino, Lausanne, Altdorf, Vaduz, Sulzberg, Fussen, Munich.

Q1: When We must go July or Sept? Which season is colorful and awful... Which season has good weather condition? If you come Black See Side the Kackars I can say beginning of Sept wonderful.
Q2: Can we set up Tent where I want in Alpines? I don’t need electricity. I have all camping Equipment. In some cities we stay Hotel or B&B
Q3: Do you have any advices?
If you have any question about Northern Turkey (Black See Mountains) I will.
Thanks for answers…

Ahmet GULAS

Michael J
expert

Re: Alpine Tour by Car

Postby Michael J » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:41 am

Hi - I'd say early September. The crowds are gone and everything is still open. Last September was wet, but I am told that this is not usual.

I find it interesting that you want to visit Vajont. Do you mean the dam site or the new village near Maniago that the Italian government built as replacement housing for the people who had to relocate?

I used to drive by the dam in the late 1960s and it was still a very raw location - almost like the moon. It has since grown over with vegetation and is not as dramatic as it was. Still worth a visit, though.
Michael Jordan
'86 SRX-6 (sleeping in the garage)
'03 DL-1000 (on the road in Europe)
'13 Tiger Explorer (accumulating miles)

gvg
speaker

Postby gvg » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:40 pm

I second the early September. Much better than July crowd wise.

Wild camping (as far as I know. Check yourself to be sure.)

Austria
In practice illegal.
A great mish-mash of Provincial rules, so it's hard know where what's allowed, except that it's never allowed in forests. If you understand German: [url]http://www.alpenverein.at/portal_wAssets/docs/natur-umwelt/Zelten-und-Biwakieren-%20in-Oesterreichs-Bergen.pdf[/url]
Fine: €760-€14500 and risk of seizure of tent.

Germany
In practice: Illegal
Like in Austria a great mish-mash of Provincial rules but with some grey areas/loopholes for the High Alpine regions, that are only understandable to a German lawyer.
Fine: a maximum of €10000. Making a fire (and cooking counts as making a fire) can land you in jail in certain cases.

France
In practice: illegal
No national law against it, but every municipality has it's own rules (and they actually ALL have rules for it.)
In general they amount to something like:
• Not in protected forests and parks or on the beach
• Not on public roads
• Not in a radius of 500m around a historical monument
• Not in a radius of 200m around a water reserve
• Not in areas designated by the local authorities
Fine: a maximum of €3750

Italy
In practice: illegal.
The laws are a complex web of Germany's and France's mixed together and then some, like National Parks that can set their own rules.
Fine: €100-€350

Slovenia
Illegal
Fine: €84 (and additional ones for making a fire, littering,....)

Liechtenstein
Illegal

Switzerland
In practice: illegal.
Not allowed in Nature Reserves.
National law says something like: only allowed above the tree line at least 100m from water for one night. Your location has to be out of sight of mountain cabins. But provinces and municipalities can set their own rules. So in the Kanton (province) Obwalden it's illegal. I don't know if other Kantons or municipalities have rules like this.

So there are only 2 countries that outright forbid wild camping. The rest have so many regional or local rules that you would need to know, that in practice the effect is the same. Unless you have the time (and language skills) to find and read all the local rules.

Rasher
expert

Postby Rasher » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:31 am

September is a low season for Hotel prices, it sits after the main summer holidays and before the snow arrives.

Hotels are not expensive in most places, we sometimes just look for somewhere to stay as we ride along, this will be easier in a car where driving later into the day as the light is fading and it gets cold has less effect.

You can also book a Hotel last minute, we do this a lot with the bike by using the Wi-Fi at the Hotel to book the next Hotel.

try www.booking.com to get an idea of prices where you will be wanting to stop.

Michael J
expert

Postby Michael J » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:51 am

+1 on [url]http://www.booking.com/[/url]. I've tried a few other sites, and booking.com has the best small town coverage. The others cover the major cities nicely, but really don't have much outside of the cities.
Michael Jordan
'86 SRX-6 (sleeping in the garage)
'03 DL-1000 (on the road in Europe)
'13 Tiger Explorer (accumulating miles)

Rasher
expert

Postby Rasher » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:57 am

[quote="Michael J"]+1 on [url]http://www.booking.com/[/url]. I've tried a few other sites, and booking.com has the best small town coverage. The others cover the major cities nicely, but really don't have much outside of the cities.

Once-upon-a-time hotels.com / booking.com and others would throw up the same Hotels, but in the last few years booking.com seemed to of picked up many smaller Hotels and guest houses.

We pre-booked about 30% of our Hotels for last years trip (Route Des Grand Alpes) and the rest I just booked on either the night before or the same morning, allowed us to see what the weather was likely to be doing and how far we felt like riding / the route we would be taking.

5 Years ago this would have been far more difficult so we used to just start looking out for a Hotel with rooms free at about 4:00pm, and if we did not find one on our route we would head into a small town by 5:00pm - this can still be good fun and we have got some great deals and stayed in some fantastic Hotels using this method so we still like to do this sometimes.