Trans Europe Trail

Add and discuss your favourite roads and places. Also trip reports.
Rasher
expert

Trans Europe Trail

Postby Rasher » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:15 am

One for the day I win the lottery:-

http://www.transeurotrail.org/

KR1S
expert

Re: Trans Europe Trail

Postby KR1S » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:04 am

Hmmm, looks great but some of the countries might be a bit dodgy...

Belgium for example!

:wink: :wink:

Pie man
speaker

Postby Pie man » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:14 am

Hmm...Maybe for my 75th birthday treat. :wink:
Sooooooo many pies, soooooo little time.
If your following me, your lost as well.

Yamaha XJR 1300 (1999)
Yamaha Super Tenere (2011)

pingvin
expert

Postby pingvin » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:34 am

Been following them on fb and advrider for a while, really like what they have done and is exactly the type of riding I love, challenging but still so most people with a bit of offroad experience and suitable bike can manage :D Though, obviously large variations in difficulty level. Believe Germany is mostly tarmac while some parts in eastern europe (and other places) are quite challenging.

They recommend up to 600cc so a GS1200 could be challenging if you're not Chris Birch or something. Had a fire in my garage last fall so my 950 Superenduro was destroyed. Been planning to replace with a new Superenduro or 950/990 Adventure. But TET made me change my mind so now got myself another KTM 690 Enduro. Actually had a KTM 690 Enduro that sold 3 years ago, but converted to SMC (Supermoto) and never really tried it on tricky offroad. But on the Namibia trip they had 690s/701s and just amazed what they can handle. After 15 minutes I forgot it was a "big" bike and rode it like my 450EXC.

Anyway, will NOT do the entire loop in one go. First thing I only have 5 weeks vacation a year and wifey appreciate I spend some of those with her. So down to max couple of weeks in reality. Which is fine, I love riding motorcycle but after a week or so, I'm happy. 11 days in Namibia was a bit to much, too much to absorb and start riding on auto pilot without appreciating the experience.

So challenge now is figuring out where to start:

1. UK - seems like more and more trails are closing for motorcycles so better ride there before it's too late?
2. France/Italy - Same as UK, especially Italy? And pics on TETs fb look amazing
3. Eastern Europe - Maybe most challenging and exotic for that all important adventure feeling. Some really good pics from Bosnia/Herzegovina, Albania etc
2010 KTM 990 SMR
2009 KTM 690 Enduro
2017 KTM 450 EXC-F
1981 Husqvarna 420 AE
1965 Husqvarna 250

Rasher
expert

Postby Rasher » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:34 pm

You are right about the UK.

They have been closing at quite a rate for decades (My guess would be over 75% have closed since the 1980's) and often what is left are mainly very short sections of trail and a lot of road riding between these. You are also correct in that if you want to ride them do them soon as they will probably all be gone in another 10 years.

With limited holiday time I might even question if the UK is worth the effort if you are only really interested in off road sections, but if you want to visit the UK for other reasons then there has probably never been a better time with the value of the £ being so low.

The fact my KTM has done more miles in Europe than the UK tells a story, in very general terms the roads are not great (either condition or for fun motorcycling) the roads are congested (especially in the South) and the better biking areas tend to have lots of other holiday makers and can be busy on any nice weekend.

Avoid the UK School Holidays from Mid July - End of August. The best times would be the middle May (avoiding the Holiday weekends at the start and end of the month) any time in June or September (from the second week onwards)

Parts of Wales and the Lake District are good and Scotland has some good roads and scenery - but IMO none are anywhere near as good as the Alps and I am heading back to the Ardennes in a few weeks as I think it is better than anything the UK has to offer.

pingvin
expert

Postby pingvin » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:27 am

September sounds good. No rain guarantee :?: :wink:

Reports from UK TET seams good, some adjustments but looks very nice. Have a look here, scroll down and you'll see reports/pics from UK:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Transeurotrail.org/
2010 KTM 990 SMR
2009 KTM 690 Enduro
2017 KTM 450 EXC-F
1981 Husqvarna 420 AE
1965 Husqvarna 250

Michael J
expert

Postby Michael J » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:18 am

No rain in September? Hah!

In 2015 it rained almost every day for 3 weeks - to include one day where I just sat in the hotel near Luzern.

Like most things in life, it's a crapshoot.
Michael Jordan
'86 SRX-6 (sleeping in the garage)
'03 DL-1000 (on the road in Europe)
'13 Tiger Explorer (accumulating miles)

Rasher
expert

Postby Rasher » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:51 am

But he is coming to the UK, we have never seen a drop of rain here during the month of September :^o

With the £ very low right now, and likely to stay low for another year or more it would be a great time, September should be about as good as any other month, often it is a nice month and one of my favourites as it is unlikely to be scorching hot, or freezing cold and often provides some of the nicest bike riding weather.

The only downside compared to May / June is the shorter days, but even at the end of the month it will not be dark until after 7:00pm - but the sun will be getting low during the afternoon.

The chances are the trails will not be too wet either, in May / June they could still be drying out if we have had a wet winter / spring (very likely), of course we are talking about the UK and "typical" or "Average" weather means nothing, we can have floods all over the country one minute and a few weeks later a hose pipe ban.

If you come anywhere near Oxford / the Cotswolds let me know, it would be great to meet up.

pingvin
expert

Postby pingvin » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:27 pm

Well aware that could be slightly moist in September in UK :wink: But for offroad I don't mind that much if raining, even got some positive sides like less dust. Obviously will regret my words when stuck in deep mud but that also part of the offroad thing, dealing with the challenges 8)

Won't be this year anyway, after 2 weeks in Namibia and 1 week in Alps this year there's no time/money left. Invited on scooter(!) trip in Cambodia in April so September next year is a good time :D

But really tempted also by France/Italy or Bosnia/Albania etc, pics on fb from people riding there looks fantastic 8) We'll see...
2010 KTM 990 SMR
2009 KTM 690 Enduro
2017 KTM 450 EXC-F
1981 Husqvarna 420 AE
1965 Husqvarna 250

Return to “Favourite Routes”