Any suggestions for improvements, wish lists, things you would like changed on AlpineRoads.com or this forum.
tonyj
speaker

Postby tonyj » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:42 am

I have tried four times today to post in Events section
Each time i get this error message " Your message contains too few characters." ?

Rasher
expert

Re: Post

Postby Rasher » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:53 pm

Quotes and pictures upset things, try simple text

Sigmund Freud
speaker
Location: formally on a couch at 20 Maresfield Gardens hampstead, now Golders Green Crematorium

Postby Sigmund Freud » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:54 pm

why not add a few extra dots to your post to up the character count?
You could even change the font size of the extra characters to tiny, or change the font colour to white or the same as the colour as the background, which renders them invisible online
VAGcom/VCDS fault diagnostics for VW Audi Seat and Skoda cars available in South Yorkshire at competative prices PM me for details

tonyj
speaker

Postby tonyj » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:22 am

Tried all that stuff and still no joy

Post was just to wish all the guys on AR 11th a great trip / safe trip

Tony

tonyj
speaker

Postby tonyj » Mon May 07, 2018 4:53 am

Just spent another half hour with message only to be told again
Error to few characters"
I wonder if others having same problem hence why site seems so quiet ?

tonyj
speaker

Postby tonyj » Mon May 07, 2018 5:05 am

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 114: preg_replace_callback(): Requires argument 2, '<a href="$1" class="postlink">$2</a>::<a href="$1" class="postlink">$2</a>', to be a valid callback
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 114: preg_replace_callback(): Requires argument 2, '<a href="$1" class="postlink">$2</a>::<a href="$1" class="postlink">$2</a>', to be a valid callback
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)

Just as an add on. I always have this message on top of the Forum, no matter which PC / Laptop I go on ?

Michael J
expert

Postby Michael J » Mon May 07, 2018 8:53 am

That, and the inability to include any sort of HTML tag in the message - so links are out. No links, no photos. No photos, no interest.

Tim is either unable or unwilling to fix the problem - if, indeed, it can be fixed. And, to be fair, he probably has a life that doesn't involve sweating his brains out over phpBB.

But it was one hell of a ride while it lasted and I've made many friends that I otherwise would never have met.
Michael Jordan
'86 SRX-6 (sleeping in the garage)
'03 DL-1000 (on the road in Europe)
'13 Tiger Explorer (accumulating miles)

tonyj
speaker

Postby tonyj » Wed May 09, 2018 5:12 am

Tim
First off thanks for all the time and effort you have put in over the years keeping this web site going, I am sure it has taken up a lot of your valuable time.
Just looking back I cant believe that the last meet I attended was the 7th AR Marmoloda in Arabba. Was it really that long ago ?
I remember my first AR meet in Barcelonette like it was yesterday. I just couldn’t believe that I had gone all my riding life without experiencing what I was on that trip. I had actually been pointed to the web site by Chris N after I stumbled on his web site and saw his ride report of your first meet in Livigno. Big thanks to Chris and his response to some contact with him led me to my first tour.
It was amazing to meet all you guys back then, Chris N who I bumped into on the P&O ferry on my way over, Tim, Martin ( whatever happened to him ) Mark. Michael the transatlantic elderly statesman & intrepid US Iron Butt rider , not to mention Kris & Steve who I have chased around on probably hundreds of miles of alpine tarmac over the years. All the time only just keeping ahead of Jan on his trusty British steed. And finally Karza and his flying Finns, don’t know what it was but just never expected to meet a posse of Finish in the alps amazed that he can get such a large group to take a months holiday to tour with him. His knowledge of all things alpine & European still never cease to amaze me, didn’t he just recommend John a hotel on the Check border, Legend ! Still remember my first taste of that Limencello !!!. And remember well the monumental hang over that is capable of .
Moving on a couple of years to to 5th meet AR Rousset in the Vecours and first meet of the Raven, what a first impression, sixty five , going on 21 ! , was it is birthday ? who can forget his nelly the elephant gig.
That was also the first year I met Pipa, John & Mr &Mrs Rasher, who has been a godsend with helping me with the technicalities of route planning on the PC whenever I have Pm,d him. ( must give a not to Ali in this respect to who virtually gave me a “one to one” tuition with basecamp and had great stay at his guest house in Austria.
Sorry for absence last few years but work/ Stella Alpina/ Gravel and a mighty 990 KTM Adventure has led me in a slightly different direction and the AR meet has seemed to always clash. Rest assured I have been regularly checking the forum to see what you guys were up to.
I hope I have not missed anyone out for a mention , if I have my apologies .
A couple of final points
Thanks. If the site and forum have helped anyone to start riding the Alps or inspired anyone to explore further, I have done my job and it was all worth it
Great work , as I have said to you before you must be very proud of what you achieved and below from Robert also echoes my sentiment exactly.
Tim, this site and forum has done so much for me, without I may never of discovered the Alps, it also gave me so much useful information and advice that I feel I have maximised every second spent riding the Alps, and of course I have made many friends via this forum.

Be Lucky
Tony

Michael J
expert

Postby Michael J » Wed May 09, 2018 6:10 am

What's this "elderly statesman" shit?

At least I've got the presence of mind not to put diesel in my bike. :twisted:
Michael Jordan

tonyj
speaker

Postby tonyj » Wed May 09, 2018 7:29 am

How could I ever forget !! :)
AR 3 Arabba - Hotel Olympia
Drop of the dark stuff in a Triumph occassionally does no harm.
Buy the way , what happened to the American with Tenere & Moto Guzzi Grizo at home , shaven head turned up for a couple of meets ? Paul ?

Michael J
expert

Postby Michael J » Wed May 09, 2018 7:59 am

Not a clue - he disappeared into the depths of the Internet. We don't move in the same riding circles.
Michael Jordan

Pie man
speaker

Postby Pie man » Wed May 09, 2018 9:32 pm

When we last saw Paul in 2015 at the Malta AR he was in a bad way. A month later I pm'd him and he said he was glad to be back home but was haveing problems due to not being able to use his regular medication, as it now caused problems with his kidneys. I have since tried to contact Paul via his Facebook account and also sent messages to some of his FB contacts, but no reply from anyone.
Sooooooo many pies, soooooo little time.
If your following me, your lost as well.

Yamaha XJR 1300 (1999)
Yamaha Super Tenere (2011)

The raven
Legend

Postby The raven » Thu May 10, 2018 11:01 am

Hi Tonyj thanks for your comment.. i am 70 going on 90 the way i feel nowdays lol but i still managed 1 overnight in a bus shelter last year !

re roadscum (paul maerz ) I have tried e mail and facebook. to no avail. i did an internet search on him and his address, and family members are still about so I may
drop a snail mail over to them and ask about him... bloody nice bloke ,

john
Spiritus numquam senescit
"The spirit never grows old"
"quoth the Raven "

53 years in the alps
1964-2017

Return to “Suggestions”