Random questions

Any suggestions for improvements, wish lists, things you would like changed on AlpineRoads.com or this forum.
ste.j
speaker

Random questions

Postby ste.j » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:37 am

How about somewhere to post random questions, e.g where would you suggest I go to watch motorcycle hill climbing? or How do I get involved as a tour guide with a motorcycle tour guide operator? Do these jobs ever come up for grabs? What other motorcycle sport events take place in the alps that I can go and see? Perhaps some enthusiasts would like to visit these alternative bike sports. A lot of questions dont necessarily have a category that they fall into on your current listing. :?:

Robin
formerly spheniscidine

Postby Robin » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:21 pm

Ste J

No offence and with respect, I'm going to disagree with you a little, I think. There are loads of bike-related websites to give general information. What I like about htis site is that it is a little more focussed - there's no wading through pages of stuff to find information about Alpine roads. Does what it says on the tin.

It's obviously a bit quieter at this time of year, but if it gets too general, will it spoil the current feel of the site?

Obviously it's free and relatively small, so it's entirely up to the site owners.

Robin.

ste.j
speaker

Postby ste.j » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:43 pm

I agree with your comment Robin.

There are loads of other websites to give general information, perhaps I should have been more specific.

Whilst travelling throughout the alps last year I did get to wondering what other bike sports took place around there. This would be answered in the EVENTS forum.

My other thought however, "how do you get a job as a tour guide in the alps with one of the guided tour companies?, do these jobs ever come up for grabs?" had no specific forum area. This is what led me to my proposal of another forum for random questions.
You see, some questions might not fall within the forum categories that are already listed, FAVOURITE ROADS, EVENTS, etc. Perhaps another category for miscellaneous questions could be added.

I also think this site is too good to be ruined by non related gossip and should remain focussed upon the alpine region for bikers.

No offence taken by the way. Everyone should have the right to say what they think. I'm glad you took the time to read my comment and felt that you had to reply.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:07 am

I can see both side of that coin here. I'd like to try and keep the site focussed - it's so easy to just add things until you loose the point of the whole thing. A single forum for chit-chat and general questions seems a good idea though.
Let us know what you think:
http://www.alpineroads.com/forum/viewto ... ?p=538#538

I'm not promising anything.

wonderboy

Postby wonderboy » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:12 am

Hi there,

I agree with you also, the site should stay focused on Alp riding issues, but on the other hand, there are loads of questions that I would like to ask that are generely riding based.

I think that one of the nice things about this site in particular is that it is relitively small, still with less that 100 members at the moment.

I think that it would be a good idea all the same to have a section for general comments and questions.

Perhaps a sister site could be the answer with general riding issues. I guess this would still detract from the point that we are here to talk about the Alps.

Cheers.
thanks for reading.
-----------------------------

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving".
Albert Einstein.

Return to “Suggestions”