Posting Photos

Any suggestions for improvements, wish lists, things you would like changed on AlpineRoads.com or this forum.
gunnert

Posting Photos

Postby gunnert » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:54 am

How to keep a photo posted? I've been posting them, the picture shows up for a few hours, and then disappears. What am I doing wrong?
Avid motorcyclists
09 K1300GT
07 Custom Bagger

Michael J
expert

Postby Michael J » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:31 pm

Not knowing what you're doing, it's difficult to say what you are doing wrong (or right, for that matter).

What you need to have is a photo sharing site. I use Smugmug (a paid site), but there are free ones around.

* Upload your photo to your sharing site.
* Get the URL of the photo from the site, such as http://www.smugmug.com/mypic.jpg
* click on the "Img" button on the menu, paste in the address of the pic, and click on "Img" again.

This should give you something like this:
[img]http://www.fratellibrothers.com/photos/776261182_L8Sqj-L.jpg[/img]

The photo will show in your post, but will load from the location specified in the "[img]" tag. This keeps the Alpine Roads diskspace relatively empty and also helps on bandwidth issues, as the image isn't downloaded from them, but from your photo server.

If your images are disappearing, you aren't storing them in a stable location.
Michael Jordan
'86 SRX-6 (sleeping in the garage)
'03 DL-1000 (on the road in Europe)
'13 Tiger Explorer (accumulating miles)

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:44 am

Under some conditions (where the photo has been uploaded to the AR forum database as an in-line image) you have to be logged on to the forum for some photos to show up. Others - maybe those hosted externally - are visible all the time.

Ballast
speaker

Postby Ballast » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:40 am

I joined Smugmug a few months ago on Michael's recommendation and am very happy with it. As he says there are plenty of free options out there which means just posting the link, no issues over images being too large etc. I assume all do a journal style option which is great if you have plenty to say.
Ballast

Return to “Suggestions”