GPS coordinates

Any suggestions for improvements, wish lists, things you would like changed on AlpineRoads.com or this forum.

What GPS data would you find useful?

Waypoints of just pass heights/centre of routes
29%
Waypoints for start and finish points
43%
Complete route/trackdata for each road
21%
other (please add a reply to this thread)
7%

Total votes: 14

tim
Site Admin

GPS coordinates

Postby tim » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:40 pm

Lots of people have requestd GPS coordinates of places and routes. I've decided to give it a go.
Ok, I admit it, I'm a bit ignorant of GPS (although I have been googling to read up about it all), I've always used paper maps, so .... I need some help.

Firstly, what sort of information do you want?
What do you need, what would be helpful.

What software do you use to plan trips?

Please take a second to fill out the poll or reply to this post if you want something else.
It'll help a lot. Thanks.

Tim.

mpuputti

Postby mpuputti » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:59 am

Typically I'd store only coordinates of the actual pass (i.e. one point), and use my roating GPS to tell me the road from where ever I happen to be.

But in some cases, coordinates (and possibly directions) of the most important crossings would be usefull, too. Particularly I remember one case this summer, when heading from Aosta to Grand Saint Bernard pass. fortunatelly I was told about the crossing, otherwise I'd missed it and ended into the tunnel (just like I did a week earlier, when coming from north).

Complete route would be helpfull, but different vendors have different formats (i.e. you'd have to have them in Magellan, Garmin, etc. formats). Trackdata sure would be nice, if it contains the altitude information. But the same "incopatible formats" -issue is there, too.

So, after this long explanation, my vote would be for both the first and the second (but due to limitations of the voting sw, it was counted on the second one only).

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:56 am

That's exactly the sort of thing I need to know. :)

[size=75]Sorry about the voting options, this board is limited at teh moment. I'll see if I can't find an extension to allow multiple choices.[/size]

Greg
speaker

Postby Greg » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:22 am

I downloaded a list of all the passes in Switzerland that I found quite useful. It is a MapSource file & I am happy to share it. I can see where other "key" points, like the entrance to a particularly good route, would also be important.
Greg

[url=http://www.naisp.net/gjarvis/]Greg's Stuff[/url]

08 Moto Guzzai Norge
04 Honda XR 650 L
96 Triumph Sprint

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:50 am

Greg,

would you mind sending me a copy of that file? email me via the email link below.

Greg
speaker

Postby Greg » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:24 am

[quote="tim"]Greg,

would you mind sending me a copy of that file? email me via the email link below.

mail sent.
I have another with a couple of loops north of Lake Garda if you'd like.
Actually, I just uploaded them to my web. Look under

[url]http://www.naisp.net/gjarvis/Europe_04/maps/[/url]
Greg

[url=http://www.naisp.net/gjarvis/]Greg's Stuff[/url]

08 Moto Guzzai Norge

04 Honda XR 650 L

96 Triumph Sprint