Web software

Any suggestions for improvements, wish lists, things you would like changed on AlpineRoads.com or this forum.
tim
Site Admin

Web software

Postby tim » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:07 am

I know I've said this before, but I'm beginning to start thinking about the possibility of changing the main-site design to some sort of more flexible, update-able design. I have no real ideas just yet, but the possibility of certain people being able to directly edit or add to road/route review. Anyway, whatever eventually comes out of it, I'm neither interested nor do I have the time to rewrite everything from scratch, and was wondering if anyone has any experience with free of commercial software that might allow me to to get into the next league. I don't mind a bit of programming (it's my job, but I don't do web-sites) and a simple WYSIWYG system might be too limiting.
Any ideas, suggestions, things you'd like added/definitely don't want etc. ,even if they sound silly or improbable, please add here, and I'll see what I can get around to.

Alternatively any suggestions for merging the old website info with the forum somehow? I'm after something s touch more modern, content-based, but not gimmicky.

It'll be a mid-long term project, so there's time to discuss this if anyone's interested.

Ali in Austria
speaker

Re: Web software

Postby Ali in Austria » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:25 pm

I'm computer illiterate I'm afraid Tim
A Petrol Head in The Alps

http://www.pensionhausmaria.com

[url]http://www.youtube.com/user/PensionHausMaria?feature=mhum[/url]

Follow us on Facebook - http://facebook.com/pension.haus.maria

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:39 am

That's even better, 'ignorant' (in the nicest possible way) people often have the best ideas.

Rasher
expert

Postby Rasher » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:50 pm

Maybe expand on the Pass info section, you could maybe allow some of the more knowledgeable guys and those regular riding around the Alps to add / update their own reviews for passes, so keep the generic description, but then allow the wise old hands to add their own review underneath.

Possibly a new Pass rating system as well, people are always asking, so maybe have a few criteria set for a pass that each of us could rate - maybe need to have a way of approving "raters" to stop idiots signing on and then rating 200 passes they have never ridden #-o

Something like:

* Overall
* Surface (5 = smooth / 1 = Bumpy)
* Sweeping Corners (5 = Lots / 1 = Few)
* Hairpins (5 = Lots / 1 = few)
* Scenery (5 = Stunning / 1 = Dull)

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:05 pm

Definitely.
Some blogging software allows certain specified users/groups to update or add comments. I'm not keen on letting anyone add comments, but "trusted" users is fine by me.
The disadvantage of too may criteria for each pass is that it will change so quickly, from year to year the surface will deteriorate, and my even be patchy and difficult to categorise. On the other hand, regular recent comments might well compensate for that.

BourneToRide
expert

Postby BourneToRide » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:42 am

Since GE pro is free now, perhaps is could be based on that, I guess there are pro users here.
Agree that pass conditions change year to year, so up to date comments are more valuable
[img]http://website.lineone.net/~stephen_binks/ninjas/bourne.gif[/img]

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:46 am

Might be a bit of a steep learning curve with GE, but I will look into it. Some sort of mapping ability is a must, as so much information here is location based.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:10 am

I'm investigating a CMS called concrete5 which seems to be a good compromise of flexibility and easiness. Will take some time to work out if it's what I really want, and in the meantime I'll be contacting Christoph (my friendly free hosting provider :-) ) about the various possibilities. There is of course the possibility of having to move off his servers to another host. Anyway, just in case you all thought I'd forgotten about this - I had until recently. But each time I come back to it I make a few more steps in the right direction. :)

Return to “Suggestions”