GPS coordinates

News and Updates to AlpineRoads
tim
Site Admin

GPS coordinates

Postby tim » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:03 pm

I'm beginning to get the database populated with basic GPS coordinates. It's not complete yet, obviously. All those I have are displayed alongside the coresponding entry on the main site. I'll be working on getting something downloadable in various formats when teh DB is more-or-less complete.

This is a time consuming project, and I'll announce things here as I work them out. As usual, an open invitation for you to spot errors... all comments gratefully received.

mpuputti

Postby mpuputti » Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:26 am

I think its great to ahve the GPS goordinates. They seem to be in WGS-84, right?

You may consider adding a link to Google Map from each of the coordinates.
Something like:
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=46.54993,11.80888&amp;spn=0.03,0.045&amp;t=k">N46?32.996 (Passo di Gardena)</a>

User would see the goordinates, and clicking on it woudl open a map (the Google Map) on that location.

Added: Sorry to be so explicit on the above example. I copy pasted it from my home page...

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:32 am

[quote]I think its great to ahve the GPS goordinates. They seem to be in WGS-84, right?

Yes, purely because it makes more sense to me in that format. I have them in that, and the one Google uses.

re. Google maps:
Yep, that's next on the list! :-)

The maps are pretty big though. not good for anyone except broadband visitors :( and the
local.google.com site doesn't have roads in mainland Europe yet.