Alpine Passes on Google Earth

News and Updates to AlpineRoads
robroy

Alpine Passes on Google Earth

Postby robroy » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:11 am

Hi guys,

I've been planning a summer trip that will include the alps and wanted to compare the passes described on this site with my route. I use a combination of MyMaps on Google Maps and Google Earth, and wanted to see the passes on Google Earth.

I couldn't get the existing Google Maps option on the site to work (some kind of script error) but upon doing a View Source found all the points, names and links. :twisted:

I took the liberty of massaging the list and using the Google Earth [url=http://earth.google.com/outreach/tutorial_mapper.html]Spreadsheet Mapper[/url] to create a Google Docs spreadsheet that in turn generates a Google Earth feed of the passes. The marker for each pass links back to the appropriate page on the AlpineRoads.com site.

Try it out by downloading and opening the attachment. I've found it very useful already planning my trip for this summer. Thanks again for the great info

Note this feed is generated from an online spreadsheet, so if a site admin alpineroads.com wishes to contact me with their email address, I'll add them as an editor on the source spreadsheet so they can add more text, change the header image etc etc etc

Hope you like it...

Regards
Rob
Attachments
Alpine Passes from AlpineRoads.com.kmz
Download and open in Google Earth to create a network Feed of Alpine Passes.
(333 Bytes) Downloaded 808 times

pingvin
expert

Postby pingvin » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:21 am

Nice :D And welcome :D
2010 KTM 990 SMR
2009 KTM 690 Enduro
2017 KTM 450 EXC-F
1981 Husqvarna 420 AE
1965 Husqvarna 250

ChrisN
expert

Postby ChrisN » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:46 am

Nice work Rob :wink:

I like the links back to the relavent AlpineRoads page - very proffessional :D I'm sure Tim will be pleased.

I use Mapsource and Garmin SatNav for trip planning which allows me to view my routes in Google Earth, so your KMZ file provides a nice cross reference with links.

Well done =D>
Chris
Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer XCx
Yamaha XT660X

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:51 am

Rob, very nice. And really, thanks for the links back to AR. I am pleased :-)

Return to “News”