Dealer Database on WAP

News and Updates to AlpineRoads
tim
Site Admin

Dealer Database on WAP

Postby tim » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:48 am

For those of us who break down, have a spill or need a service during the trip I have had for some time, a
well-hidden but growing database of bike dealers in the alpine area and routes to and from the UK. You can find it via the link at the top of the "Dealers/Manufacturers" page or at:
[url]http://www.alpineroads.com/dealers.php[/url]

This is now available on your mobile phone, if it is WAP-capable at :
[url]http://www.alpineroads.com/wap/main.php[/url]
(Users of Opera and other WAP-enabled browsers can try it out directly)

I'd be really interested if anyone finds this useful, or can suggest any improvements, and especially if you know of any dealers or workshops you can recommend or advise we steer clear of.

mpuputti

Dealer Database on WAP

Postby mpuputti » Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:23 am

When somewhere that I have never been before, I would so much appreciate to have the GPS coordinates (in addition to the actual address). Two months ago was near to Naples, and it would have been absolutely impossible to find the BMW service without someone pointing it out on my GPS.
I.e. I would very much propose to have the coordinates of each service added on both the WAP and WWW pages.

Yes, I know it woudl be a big task, and probably no-one will ever have time to check the coordinates of all the announced addresses from any map. But you asked for improvements :-)

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:00 am

We've been asked about GPS coordinates before - for sart/finish towns and the positions of the passes, and I'd like to do it, BUT, as you say it's a big job, and as we don't have a GPS (we rely on real maps :lol: ) we really have no idea about how to go about gathering that info.

None of the dealers I've come across publish their GPS coords, so if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears.

jan

GPS Co-ordinates

Postby jan » Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:34 am

We are going to Faaker See in September. I have put all your routes onto v7 of Mapsource for a Garmin 2610. If anyone would like to check this (it is 2400Kb) they are welcome to. I cannot verify the co-ordinates until we go in September. We are hoping to DO about 12 different passes in France, Switzerland, Italy & Austria. I can then let anyone have the exact GPS information in the autumn. Jan & Trev

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:54 am

Jan,
I'd definitely be interested if you get the time and send me the coordinates when you have them. The co-ords for the top of each pass and any interesting/important places on the way would be fantastic.

A stupid question: Are the GPS coordinates in a format that most mapping/GPS systems can read? Or are the values incompatible with each other?

cacknanty

Postby cacknanty » Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:50 am

Download at http://earth.google.com/
Starts out with a full screen view of planet earth and you can zoom in to anywhere. Includes road, building etc overlays. It also shows the coordinates of wherever you place the pointer.
Only just found it myself I am sure there is much more in there.
And its FREE ! although you can pay for more features.
Cheers
Nigel

cbr_bob

Postby cbr_bob » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:20 am

Tim - tried the wap site but don't see any details of dealers under the manufacturers......

cbr_bob

Postby cbr_bob » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:54 am

that google earth application is incredible!

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:55 am

hhhmmm, I've tested it with a couple of UK and Austrian based mobile phones and it seems to work.

There are some areas that I don't have any dealers for, of course. Can you remember what you tried? Try Austria and Triumph. You should get 8 dealers.

cbr_bob

Postby cbr_bob » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:01 am

i was trying switzerland Tim

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:58 am

Depending on your phone's application - you may have to press "select" then "accept" (or the equivalent on your mobile) for you to get anything?

My Samsung works with just one "accept", but Martin's Nokia has to "select" then "accept" first.

cbr_bob - I assume you were looking for Honda? You should get just Moto Center Thun.

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:00 am

ok - thanks Tim - setting off on Saturday for our week to Switzerland!

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:42 pm

cbr_bob - it might be a bit late now, but I've spent the evening adding a fair number of Honda dealers to the database for southern Switzerland.
[url]http://www.alpineroads.com/dealers.php?selLand=ch&marque=hon&Submit1=Submit[/url]

I hope it was a waste of time. :lol: Have a nice trip.
Tim.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:06 am

[quote]We are going to Faaker See in September

Jan, are you going to the Harley European Bike Week there?

[quote]If anyone would like to check this (it is 2400Kb) they are welcome to

Any chance you can send (email) me or post a location where I can download them?
Or at least a selection of them, so I can start working on something.