Bourg St Maurice

Ideas and plans for trips. Route plans. How to get to and from places. Ferry crossings etc. Post your ideas and plans here.

Rasher
expert

Re: Bourg St Maurice

Postby Rasher » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:15 am

You might find My Route App easier, I still use Base Camp as it has my 350 passes stored in it so I just start a route by putting the days passes in using Base Camp and then export to gpx.

Tyre and My Route App allow me to drag the route around and add way points easily.

My Route App also allows you to switch to maps other than Google (Pro Version) which helps with winter planning.

iomrob
expert

Postby iomrob » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:53 pm

Just my thoughts , I*f your taking newbies , returning the same road should not be a problem , we all know how different a pass looks riden in the other direction :)
What if the Hokey Cokey is REALLY what it's all about?

tonyj
speaker

Postby tonyj » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:45 pm

Tonyj, my group will tour on French Alps after AR16, are you there in July, between 11th-16th
Karza . I am afraid once again our paths do not meet. Currently Offshore Angola and my rota does show me home first week in July but there are always problems with Visa / LOI ( letter of invitation ) to get in the country that it would be unwise to guarantee your replacement getting here on time. I will firm up plans once home late February but to be safe I will plan for end of July.
I was hoping to be in Livigno this year. Will let you know if anything changes.

Just my thoughts , I*f your taking newbies , returning the same road should not be a problem , we all know how different a pass looks riden in the other direction :)
Yes Rob, my thoughts as well. And probally unavoidable in the BSM region. IIRC I have only ever done Isrean , Roseland South / North on way home from trips so will also be a change for me this year.

Thanks
Tony

Karza
expert

Postby Karza » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:43 pm

When in the area dont forget the Col de St Petit Bernard, great biking road! 8) And also Col de Madeleine is fun for ridin and has beautiful scenery. :D

Hotel Belvedere, the bikerhouse, is at the south end of Col St Petit Bernard..... :wink: :!:

tonyj
speaker

Postby tonyj » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:41 am

When in the area dont forget the Col de St Petit Bernard, great biking road! 8) And also Col de Madeleine is fun for ridin and has beautiful scenery. :D

Took detour home via St Bernard passes last year on way home from Bardenecchia. Camped just outside Chamonix , Yes camped ! :)
Watched an English biker get airlifted of the Forclaz after an accident . ! not nice, lets be careful out there.
I heard somewhere there is a great cafe/Restaraunt on top Madeleine with magnificent views. Its in my plans this year.
Has anyone any experience of the D12 from Thones to Faverges ? or is it better go a bit further East and South from Bluffy on Forclaz D42 to get views to lake

Hotel Belvedere looks ideal . Thanks

Tony

The raven
Legend

Postby The raven » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:08 am

I had a Roquefort pizza up on the madeleine. stunk the place out but was very big and VERY tasty. :thumbup:
Spiritus numquam senescit
"The spirit never grows old"
"quoth the Raven "

53 years in the alps
1964-2017

Karza
expert

Postby Karza » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:29 am

Col Madeleine is just great! 8)

teabar

Postby teabar » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:52 am

BSM's a great base - dome it twice now. All mentioned above in various forms but the best routes for should include Cormet de Roseland, Mont Cenis, Madeleine, Petit St Bernard and even the Grand St Bernard through Aosta. The southern loop through Mont Cenis and Madeleine could be extended to include Alp D'Huez though that would be quite a long day. The open deck cafe top the Madeleine with it's views across the slopes on a sunny day is worth that particular trip on its own :). Some pics here ........
http://sdtravelogue.blogspot.co.uk/2016 ... =timeslide
Steve

teabar

Postby teabar » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:55 am

......Ooops. I obviously forgot the Iseran :D

Karza
expert

Postby Karza » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:01 am

http://www.lavieilleposte.com/index.php ... nos-tarifs

Nice little hotel in the heart of Lanslebourg. :D Clean rooms, very friendly English speaking staff, excellent location, delicious food: is there still something else you need there? :lol: Yes, cold beer, there is! :lol:

Reasonable prices, thats why it is our base in the July after AR-meet. :thumbup:

Michael J
expert

Postby Michael J » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:10 am

If you're going to do the Mont Cenis, you might as well add the Finestre.

And maybe the Assietta. :twisted:
Michael Jordan
'86 SRX-6 (sleeping in the garage)
'03 DL-1000 (on the road in Europe)
'13 Tiger Explorer (accumulating miles)

Return to “Trip Planning”