Grand Alps - Early June

Ideas and plans for trips. Route plans. How to get to and from places. Ferry crossings etc. Post your ideas and plans here.

Rasher
expert

Grand Alps - Early June

Postby Rasher » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:26 am

I know nothing is ever guaranteed in the Alps, but when do the passes of RDGA typically open :?:

Not yet sorted next years trip, it is likely to be either the 1st two weeks in July, where I know the passes will have all opened, and are unlikely to get closed again, or maybe early June - I know this is more risky, but we have ridden RDGA twice now so we are not massively bothered is one or two of the high passes are closed, as long as most of them are open / there is an easy alternate route around the ones most likely to be shut.

Michael J
expert

Re: Grand Alps - Early June

Postby Michael J » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:14 am

You should be good for most of them. l'Iseran and La Bonnette will be iffy then, but you already knew that.
Michael Jordan
'86 SRX-6 (sleeping in the garage)
'03 DL-1000 (on the road in Europe)
'13 Tiger Explorer (accumulating miles)

Rasher
expert

Postby Rasher » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:19 am

Thanks Michael,

If doing this trip we are less likely to plan on stopping anywhere in particular to have a lot more flexibility but with a couple of days "in Hand", so if we get lucky we could hang around somewhere for a couple of nights and loop around the passes, but if not keep moving on to lower stuff.

I have made a few assumptions:

1. The Weather will be fairly decent in early June with long days, reasonable temperatures and not all that much chance of more snow - the main issue being has what was dumped earlier in the year melted yet, this is backed up by the various weather websites I have looked at.

2. Accommodation will be a doddle to find at this time of year so should be able to stop whenever we feel like it and find a room.

3. Higher passes may be closed lower ones are likely to be open:-

<1900m Very unlikely to be closed
1900 - 2100m Probably OK, especially if they go somewhere or have any tourism value
2100 - 2300 Hopefully OK but don't bet on it
2300+ - Probably still closed

I know factors such as where does the pass go to and from will make a big difference on the clearing priorities of the local authorities, if anyone knows of particular routes that are highly likely to either be clear or blocked that might be handy.

The possible problems I foresee are:-

1. La Bonnette:- Alternate options include Lombarde and Larche, or over Col d' Allos.

2. Col d'Izoard:- Easy to take main road to West, although this is one of my favourites so hoping it will be open

3. Col du Galibier:- Alternative would be over Col de Mont Genevre, or head around the other way and take Col du Glandon

4. Col de l'Iseran:-

At least it gives me lots to do over Winter, 5 minutes on Google turned up some good info on weather, cycling cols gives me pretty much every pass in the Alps along with Altitude, also found this:-

http://bike-oisans.com/en/cycling-oisan ... ain-passes

Got a bit of time off over Christmas so look forward to seeing what I can dig up, if we decide to go at this time I will just have plenty of options thought out for each day with no solid plans / bookings.

Karza
expert

Postby Karza » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:06 pm

In Alps,many hotels are closed in June for holidays of the owners.

Rasher
expert

Postby Rasher » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:06 am

Am I likely to struggle to find a place to stay, or just have a bit less choice :?:

The latter is OK, sleeping in a Bus Stop is not my thing :mrgreen:

KR1S
expert

Postby KR1S » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:14 am

You could have a look on Booking.com now for your proposed/possible dates and places - it should give you an idea

Ludwig
expert

Postby Ludwig » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:55 am

" 1. La Bonnette:- Alternate options include Lombarde and Larche, or over Col d' Allos.

2. Col d'Izoard:- Easy to take main road to West ..." ( quote Rasher )

Alternative for Bonette : col de la Moutière , but 3 km not so easy gravel section .
Alternative for Izoard : NOT the main N 94 , but D 38 at the other side of the Durance . Much better ..
Galibier : usually the tunnel will be open .

Btw : last sept. , I noticed that col de la Bonette is now limited to 50 kmh all the way .

Rasher
expert

Postby Rasher » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:53 am

Well that is La Bonette off my list which solves one problem :mrgreen:

Return to “Trip Planning”